As one of major goals of National Urban Transport Policy (NUTP 2006) is to build capacity at all levels of governance for clear understanding of sustainability and reduce GHG emissions, GoI through Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) has taken the initiative to implement programs, for building capacity for a paradigm shift towards more environment-friendly modes of urban transport. GoI, in association with GEF, World Bank and UNDP, has designed and implemented the Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP) in India. The project is to be implemented through two initiatives namely
- Component I, supported by UNDP, includes a number of national-level capacity building initiatives, which will be implemented directly by MoUD.
- Component II, supported by the Bank, would include a series of demonstration capacity building and investment projects in selected states and cities, which will be implemented by MoUD and participating states and cities
Selection of Demonstration Cities
Detailed Project Profiles were prepared by all cities with the assistance of the SUTP Consultants and then endorsed by the SUTP Steering Committee to be included to SUTP as City Demonstration Projects. The final five cities participating as Demonstration Cities under Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP) are - Indore (Madhya Pradesh), Mysore (Karnataka), Atal Nagar (Chhattisgarh), Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad (Maharashtra).
Demonstration cities focus on the following initiatives:
- Public transport development, including development of new bus systems with BRT characteristics in Atal Nagar, Pimpri (Group A), improvements of existing bus services and operations in Indore and Mysore (Group B), operation support to the bus services in Pimpri (Group A), improved access to public transport in Pune (Group A).
- Non-motorized transport development, including cycle track investments in Pune and Atal Nagar (Group A).
- Pilot Intelligent Transport System (ITS) application to public transport in Mysore and Indore (Group B). Pimpri Chinchwad and Atal Nagar (Group A) will also introduce some basic ITS functions to its bus operations.
- Technical Assistance in integrated land and transport development or Transit-Oriented Development (ToD) for Atal Nagar (Group A).